Sunday, October 18, 2009

I've been thinking about how glad I am to have a husband who is willing to be the head of our household. There is a sense of order and calm around our house that did not exist for most of our marriage. Our daughter has noticed it too. Like most kids, she really wants a sense of order and boundaries. Perhaps it seems strange, but we do not use spanking as discipline for our daughter. She responds well to time outs and limits on her computer and t.v. time. And now, she knows we will be consistent with her limits and boundaries.

In the early years of our marriage, I was the one who ran the show in our house. And I was miserable, and so was Bo and so was our daughter. I really didn't want the responsibility of being in charge of everything. For a long time, I felt like our family would collapse if I didn't handle it all. DD has helped us all see that we are all needed in the family. We all have roles and responsibilities. Now, when my stress level gets high, and I start back into the "take control" mode, Bo has an effective tool to help me deal with the pressures of life. I can't say that I enjoy the punishment part of DD, but I'm so glad we have the life we do now. No way do I want to be totally in control ever again!

No comments: